Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Blog Tag

It looks like I'm playing my first game of Blog Tag. I've been tagged to let people know what I dig about Jesus. Here are the rules:

1. those tagged will share 5 things they dig about Jesus…
2. those tagged will tag 5 other bloggers…
3. those tagged will post a comment here with their name and a link to their “dig” Jesus list…

So, here's my list of 5 things I dig about Jesus:

1) I dig that Jesus never changes. He's reliable. Hebrews 13:8 - "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." James 1:17 - "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." In a world that changes constantly, it is a comfort to know that He is my constant, my Rock. He won't be my friend one day and blow me off the next. He will always be present with me, when others are far away. He won't ever be anything but what He tells us He is through His Word. What I learn about Him today will be true of Him a million years into eternity. He NEVER changes and this gives stability to my ever-changing life!

2) I dig that Jesus is TRUTH. John 14:6 - "Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." He is the way to salvation - the ONLY way, and He can be trusted to save anyone who would simply ask in faith. Because He is truth He can be trusted. He will not lie. He is The Standard I can base my life upon and know that I will not falter as long as I am following Him. When differing views about how to live life bombard us every day, we can look to Jesus to show us the way. When I need to know how to parent, how to respond to a disappointment or frustration, how to be a godly wife, etc, etc, Jesus brings clarity. I am thankful that He is THE truth!

3) I dig that Jesus pursues intimate relationships with sinful people. Ephesians 1:4-5 - "For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love He predestined us to be adopted as His sons through Jesus Christ..." He chose me. He sought me out. I am His daughter, the church is His bride. Psalm 139 indicates His intimate knowledge of me. And He still pursues me to love and know Him more. And not because I'm somehow worthy of it. But because He's God and this is what He does. The gospels are clear that Christ came to seek and to save the lost - He didn't come to hang out with "church people" - He hung out with the prostitutes, the tax collectors, the drug dealers, the murderers, the gossipers......those in need of grace. I am glad for His intimate pursuit of me!

4) I dig that Jesus is patient. Exodus 34:6- "The Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness..." He is slow to express His anger. There will be a "day of God's wrath, when His righteous judgment will be revealed" (Romans 2:5). But for now He waits patiently as the world spirals deeper into moral decay, lovingly waiting for the salvation of those who have yet to be saved. He is patient with ME. When I stumble over the same sin again and again and again....... Romans 8:1 - "There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." When I fail Him, when I don't obey Him, when I don't reflect Him adequately to others.... He continues to love me, waiting patiently on my growth in Him.

5) I dig that Jesus suffered to bear my sin. 1 Peter 2:21-24 - "...because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps. 'He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in His mouth.' When they hurled their insults at Him, He did not retaliate; when He suffered, He made no threats. Instead, He entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly. He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by His wounds you have been healed." Beautiful. God Almighty, the creator of all, left the riches, the comfort, the perfectness of Heaven to become a man, Jesus. He entered into the pain of humanity. He endured separation from the Father. Even though He had never sinned, He took the punishment - a humiliating and barbaric death on a cross. All of this so that we, who are the reasons He went through this in the first place, could have a relationship with Him. Amazing. I love Jesus for bearing my sin!

What a great thing to reflect on attributes of Jesus! I can't wait to read more from others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina
I dig the same things that you dig about Jesus and I also dig that He gave you to me for a friend!
Love ya
Tara

FordeFam said...

Wasn't this fun? I really enjoyed doing this blog as well!!! Blessings to you and your family!!!