Monday, May 10, 2010

The Irony of Motherhood

I am discovering that there is much irony within Motherhood. I have seen and talked with moms who have grieved greatly during the empty-nest transition, and understandably so. I can only imagine the kind of heart pain a woman experiences after years of pouring daily into her children, only to send them off on their own, sometimes far from home. Even though this is the natural order of things, it's a transition that is difficult for most moms, as evidenced in the amount of books I've noticed on the subject. A quiet house is a painful reflection of the emptiness felt inside... a schedule that does not revolve around the kids' activities begs the question, "What's my purpose now?"... so I'm told.

Yet, many moms with young children look forward to moments of quiet, alone time, and a kid-free schedule. I know because I am one of them. And I believe this, too, is natural, as raising young children is so time & energy intensive, especially if you are a stay-at-home mom. As frustrated and weary as I may feel at times when it comes to parenting, I don't want to rush this season with my kids. It's passing quickly enough on it's own.

So, more and more I am trying to think ahead a few years and imagine life without my kids under my feet. Then, I do with them today what I will want to remember having done then.

No comments: