Friday, May 11, 2007

Treasure

Lately I've been pondering on what it is that I truly treasure and what should I be treasuring. The themes of LOSS and CHANGE are what led me to this pondering. Life is full of both. We witnessed a huge loss of life with the terrible acts of violence a short time ago at Virginia Tech. Two separate families that we know are about to make big moves away from people they are close to. Another friend has just expressed the loneliness she's felt after moving to a new city several months ago. A student has just lost her dad to death. We feel a sense of loss when someone close to us dies or moves or just simply decides not to invest in the relationship anymore; when things change.

So, what do I treasure? Here are a few things: my husband, my children, God & my relationship with Him, time - time to do things and time to spend with people I care about, friends, my extended family, music and the ability to worship God with it, my health, my independence, .....

These things are valuable to me. But on some level I will lose most of what's on this list at some point. My husband may die before I do. My children will grow up and move out of my house as they enter adulthood. I never have enough time it seems. Friends and family - They will die or move; and let's face it, no matter how much we may care, inevitably we disappoint each other at times because we're human. Abilities can be taken in an instant. So can your health and independence. (I'm really not trying to sound morbid here.....)

The book of Joshua begins with loss. Moses has died. Israel has lost a leader, a father, a friend. Things are changing for this nation and for Joshua. As Joshua takes on the leadership role, God tells him, "I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous..." Again he tells him, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." What comfort we can also take in these words as those of us who have placed our faith in Jesus Christ for salvation experience loss.

But how can I be comforted if what I treasure most has been taken? Above all, I MUST treasure Christ! He is my constant. He is the One who will NEVER leave me. And it is because of Him I have any other good gift in the first place. When I treasure Christ above all, I have the ability to be strong and courageous in the midst of loss or change. And then I can truly be comforted. I'll be honest. I often treasure God's gifts above Him. I most certainly want to be thankful for and treasure the many things and people God has blessed me with, but may I strive daily to treasure Him above all!

No comments: